If you’re reading this blog post, it’s likely that you are looking to permanently reduce unwanted fat. Or, you are aware that the FDA approved AXT-101 (brand name, Kybella™) on April 29, 2015 and want to learn more. Kybella is an injectable drug that pledges to melt away chin fat, leaving patients with that much-desired “chiseled” look.
This news made headlines around the world: the release of a double chin eliminator, a wonder drug, or “cure”, that will reduce fat without surgery. I’ve actually been following this story closely for a while, because we offer a similar service here at Allure, Mesotherapy (also known as Lipodissolve), and have been for over a decade. In fact, one of the key ingredients in Mesotherapy is the same substance that comprises the Kybella drug: deoxycholate acid. This would explain why Mesotherapy has been so effective at fat destruction and works well on many different areas of the body: legs, back, necks and, of course, chins.
So, you are looking to reduce your double chin and are considering Kybella. Here are some facts about Kybella that you need to know:
- The drug is administered via tiny needles, and patients might require up to 50 injections per session
- Patients should plan on committing to two to six monthly sessions of approximately 20 minutes each
- Kybella is synthetic, meaning it mimics a naturally occurring substance within the body
- You will see reference to the “submental area” or “submental fat” in your research; this is medical terminology for the area underneath the chin, which is troublesome for many people
- The fat destroyed by Kybella is metabolized in the normal way your body metabolizes fat
- Post-treatment, patients may experience swelling, bruising and tenderness; this is temporary and should subside in a couple of days
- Patients are strongly advised to only seek these services from a medically trained professional, as there are some potential risks associated
- Not everyone is a candidate
Allure Medical Spa has built a history and reputation of being the “first” in the marketplace to offer new products and services, and we plan to add Kybella to our menu of services. In the meantime, we do offer a more or less “generic” version. To find out more, please contact our office at (586) 992-8300.